Wednesday, October 21, 2015

2013 – Artspace – Ian Milliss: Notes on Works – Sydney


Ian invited me to create a work based on his drawings from the 1960’s out of a piece of canvas that he gave to each invited artist.  I came up with ‘Folded Memory’ my first minimal abstraction work.

Floor piece, canvas with rayon thread, 2013.

There is a work by Ian Milliss which I’ve not been able to get out of my head, he showed me this pinkish watercolour of folded fabric shaped in a square and I fell in love with it.   The image of it will remain with me for eternity.

It was his request that we don’t copy his work but he wanted to see what we would come up with after being exposed to it.   Reflecting our interpretation and not be influenced by each other as a group. 

‘Folded Memory’ represents folded moments in time, although I spent a good month working out what I wanted to do with this 25cm strip of canvas, it’s the ironed folds that remain fixed in memory.
Some are fleeting and some have faded but the memory remains and the loose threads are fragments which we hold so dear.

Other artist’s included: Billy Gruner, Sarah Keighery, Beata Geyer, Fiona Davies, Lizzy Marshall…

No comments:

Post a Comment